Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Yes We Can #3

The instructions are as follows:


1. Submerge your Chia in water for 1 hour.




I didn't expect this step for some reason. But it gave me a little pleasure to think that if I submerged my Obama, and I forgot about it for days, it would crumble into clay dust in the bucket.








The bucket was swiped from the kitchen. It was a relief no one noticed me walking to my office with a bucket of water. Explaining would have only increased my feelings of guilt for spending work time on this project.





This is my favorite picture so far:










He looks so peaceful, submerged in the bucket.




2. In a separate container, mix 2 teaspoons of Chia Seeds and 1/4 cup of water. Allow to sit for 1 hour, stirruing mixture occasionally to moisten the seeds. The seeds will form a gel-like paste which will help seeds adhere to your Chia Obama.





Also, I thought I'd wash yesterday's breakfast dish. Oatmeal.




After an hour, the Obama head looked basically the same, but the seeds were positively gelatenous. As per usual, I did not really read the directions thoroughly, so I did not mix the seed goo during the soaking hour. I think it'll be fine.



3. Fill Chia Obama with water and place in drip tray provided. Apply seed mixture to the grooved surfaces of your Chia, using your fingers, or a small knife or spoon. Take care not to clump seeds. You may not use all of the seed mixture.



I was toying with different ideas regarding a Chia goatee or Chia 'stache. In the end, I went with Chia ear-hair as it was the option in which I had the most confidence. Keep your fingers crossed.




The seed smearing process was a bit messier than I had anticipated. And because it was so gooey, I felt more like I was inseminating Chia Obama rather than sowing seeds on his head. The seed goo was not super easy to handle, but I was pleased by how it adhered to the terraces in Obama's head.




And now we wait...

1 comment:

Crimany! said...

Thank you for photo #1. It gave me a nice sense of scale, since I first thought Chia Obama's head was enormous. This chia-sized head is much more manageable. And really, Chia Obama should not enjoy special priveleges over his chia counterparts. His humility is one of the reasons we love him so much.
Besides, the single serving of alfala sprouts will make a nice addition to your waiting salad.

Yes we can, Chia Obama!