Friday, January 2, 2009

A holiday play in one act, with four characters

My mother's living room during the Christmas holiday. My mother, my brother, my sister-in-law and myself sitting around discussing things and watching TV.

Myself: (lightly rubbing my chin with my index finger) I have another chin hair.

My Sister-in-Law: Yeah, I get those too. I'm kind of hairy.

Myself: No you're not. You showed me your belly and you don't even have a love trail. I have to pluck love trail hairs out of my tattoo.

My Sister-in-Law: Well, look at my arm hair. You don't have ANY arm hair.

Myself: True. I don't have any arm hair. And I only have to shave my legs once a week.

My Sister-in-Law: My leg hair grows back quick. I have a hair that grows out of my forehead.

My Sister-in-Law reaches up to her forehead to search for her stray chin/forehead hair.

My Sister-in-Law: Hey! I found it!

My Sister-in-Law pulls the chin/forehead hair to extend it to its full length.

Myself: No WAY!

My Sister-in-Law grabs near the root of her chin/forehead hair and pulls the hair free from its root and hands the hair to Myself to inspect.

Myself holds the hair up to the light for further inspection, fascinated.


Myself: Wow! This is just like the hairs I pull from my chin. So crazy, it's growing from your forehead.

My Sister-in-Law: Yeah, I know!

My Mother: I never talked about this stuff, and I always thought it was just me.

Myself: Well, that's why women talk about this stuff now. So we don't think we're crazy.

My Mother: Yeah, I get it.

My Brother: (complete silence)

FIN

No comments: